Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Self-discipline...

Our Daily Bread
God has been working on me about my self-discipline. There are many parts of my life that I am as disciplined as anyone. There are several parts of my life that I really, really suck at self-discipline!

I can be a man of extremes -- I can work too much, play too much, drink too much, eat too much, rest too much, spend too much money, etc. You get the picture. If you need someone to rely on for a short term project or problem, you can always rely on me. The problem is the long term self-discipline to be a steady, upbeat child of God.

God is working on me to start with little baby steps in my undisciplined areas. I want to train to be the athlete described in the scripture today!

"Runner, when the road is long, feel like giving in, but you're hanging on. Oh, runner, when the race is done, you will run into His arms" - Twila Paris

Lord, help me run your race the best I can, relying on you for my strength and self-discipline.

Discipleship Two-sday
The two chapters this week are Called and Salvation.

Called talks about the calling of three Old Testament prophets: Jeremiah, Isaiah and Ezekiel. The reading showed the parallels with the calling of Moses. Pretty amazing and similar stories about how God calls us even today. The main point I got out of the reading was that humans will always feel inadequate when called by God. We need to trust Got to give us the power to do his will and to follow his call. Very cool! The readings were:
Exodus 3-4
Isaiah 6 and 1
Jeremiah 1-2
Ezekiel 1-3

Salvation talks about how God delivers his faithful people after his prophets do their work. Pretty amazing stories as we see how Israel wavers back and forth with their faithfulness to Jehovah throughout history. Sort of sounds like the personal history of each of us, doesn't it? ;-) I know my relationship with God ebbs and flows (see man of extremes comment above!).
The readings were:
Exodus 12 - 15
Psalm 106

Other Stuff
I had a busy evening of doing stuff around the house and reading. I finished cleaning up from the Thanksgiving meal adventure on Saturday. I had to put away laundry, dishes, and do a little cleaning in the kitchen.

I also had some phone conversations with friends that I needed to catch up with. I love my friends!

Please say a prayer for me today as I deal with a relationship issue. I am trying to trust God to work in this friendship, but I feel like I am being strung along sometimes. How can I trust God and still protect myself? I can do this with God's help. God has helped me in ages past (like this weekend!). I am sure he will be with me (us) today.

Work continues to be very busy. Whew!

I am also a little nervous about my eye doctor appointment on Friday. Lord, help me to trust you yet again for your healing power.

Hang in there, my friends. I will be upbeat and steady. That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment