Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Teach me to pray, Lord, teach me to pray...

Our Daily Bread
I liked the devotional today because it talks about a current topic for me. I have been working on praying more the past two months. I try to pray in the morning after I take my shower (there is nothing like being prostrate naked before God -- there is symbolism in that for me) and pray again before I go to sleep at night. I also try to remain in a spirit of prayer when I am walking or have a stressful time at work. It helps me deal with things.

How should we pray? There are so many books and theories on that topic. The devotional says start with the Lord's prayer from Jesus. That is a great idea! Read each section if you don't have it memorized. Think about what each section says and expand on it as you feel lead.

I get most confused about how to pray for others. Who am I to know what God's will is for another? I usually pray for God's will to be done, but also throw in my own personal wishes for each person as well. The same for myself. Even though I know God is teaching me a lot through my eye issues, I want to be healed. Please, God?

Lord, as the hymn says "teach me to pray". Help me to listen during prayer as well. You will put people and things on my heart.

Weight Loss Wednesday
Yikes... Been a stressful week in my life. I haven't done the usual stress eating, but I haven't had time to exercise like I normally do. Here are my weigh in results:
Starting Weight: 272.0
Last week: 267.0
This week: 268.4
Loss/gain: +1.4
Overall: -3.6

I will keep plugging away at it.

The topic this week is exercise, in general. I can't exercise the way I want to. My eye issues prevent me from doing the normal gym activities that one would usually do to get in shape. HOWEVER... I am not doing all that I am allowed to do. That is my fault. I have no excuse. Here are the things I can do:
*walk
*stretches
*tai chi
*stretch band exercises
*basic calisthenics
*stairs

The things I have to avoid because they can put pressure on my eyes:
*lifting weights or stuff over 15 pounds
*bending over
*sleeping flat ( I have to sleep at a 30 degree angle or so)
*exercises where my head is below my heart (like crunches on a exercise ball)
*holding in a sneeze

Is this a challenge for me? Yes. I forget sometimes, like when I am carrying in groceries or when someone needs a strong man to lift or carry something.

The point of this is not to make you feel sorry for me. The point is that I am not doing all I can do to lose weight. This is part of the self-discipline training that God is trying to instill in me. I can do this. I really can.

Other Stuff
I had a busy evening, especially considering I was very tired after work yesterday. I spent two hours at the doctor's office for a checkup. I dropped off my shirts at the cleaners. I returned something at Williams-Sonoma. I had dinner at O'Charleys (thanks, Chaz!). I came home to finish reading and fall into bed.

Please continue to pray for me for a relationship issue. I need to have faith and strength to know what to do. I praise him for the strength to get some other things in order this week. Thank you, God!

Looking forward to my D2 class tonight!

Hang in there, my friends! I will be upbeat and steady. That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment