Monday, November 8, 2010

How much higher can I aim?

Our Daily Bread
I took the devotional today very personally. Those of you who know me realize that I set a lot of lofty goals for myself, almost to a fault. I was very indignant when I read the devotional and the scripture.

THEN I thought for a few moments. Yes, I have set some lofty goals for myself, even in my spiritual life. The past 39 months have been filled with glory and pain as I have been reworking my personality and some negative traits so I could be a better person and a better child of God. I likened the exercise to Tiger Woods reworking his number one in the world golf swing. It is very painful to watch (or do), but the results are worth it! I keep telling myself that -- the results are worth it. Did I mention the results are worth it? I hope so! ;-)

Lord, I want to aim high in the ways of your love and forgiveness.

Movie Monday
So fly bear and I went to see Due Date last night. We both wanted to see it so all we had to do was work out the time after he got off work.

Frankly, the movie had some funny parts. Some ridiculous parts. Some sad parts. Some WTF parts... It was OK. The good moments were few and far between. It was sort of a cross between a guy bonding movie and the movie Hangover (but not nearly as funny).

The disturbing thing to me was that I saw myself in the Robert Downy Jr character. A hard ass, insensitive hot head that could eventually be softened by the right kind of friend. Hmmm. I didn't like watching myself on the big screen! I kept reminding myself of the prayer the other day "TEWDAR". Treat everyone with dignity and respect. I learned that from a professor in my last graduate program.

I give Due Date one paw. At least the popcorn was good.

Other Stuff
It is difficult at times doing what God asks. It is difficult at times getting answers to prayers when the answers are not what you want to hear. Even when you pray for trusting and understanding, the answers aren't easy to hear. I had some relationship breakthroughs last night that were painful, but necessary for my growth. Necessary for me to move forward. Forward is good, isn't it? Sometimes old habits and behavior patterns are like a cozy bed on a cold winter morning -- you know you need to shed the covers to start the day, but it feels so comfortable to stay where you are. I still need to work on another pattern this week and will do so the best I can.

Hurt can sometimes make us do hurtful things in return. I read a prayer earlier this year "Lord, thank you for allowing me to show love to someone who is not showing it to me". Wow! That is one of the goals I am aiming for. To always show God's love, even when others are not showing it to me.

Hang in there, my friends. I will be upbeat and steady. That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment