Thursday, November 11, 2010

Wuv, twue Wuv...

Our Daily Bread
Sorry, the title is another silly reference to the movie The Princess Bride. There are some very cute moments!

The devotional today is about the love of God, but with a different twist. It is about how the children of God show God's love through us. The example in the devotional talks about a soldier that threw himself on a grenade to save the lives of his four fellow soldiers. How selfless!

So how does the passage of scripture and this lesson apply to our lives? I learned about "agape love" or the kind of selfless love that comes from God. It compels us to do selfless acts to show God's love to others. It is not a romantic love or a family kind of love -- it is love that loves for the sake of love and expects nothing in return.

I tried practicing this several times since learning more about it during my Walk to Emmaus last year. I sent cards and little inspiring gifts to a friend who was down. I gave money to causes that I don't usually acknowledge. I spent time with folks that could never return the favor because they were on their death beds. Selfless. I need to be better at this.

Lord, I want to show your agape kind of love each and every day. Please help me to love and not expect anything in return.

Technology Thursday
Today is part two about camcorders (video recording devices). Here is some more information. Next week I will write about how to compare your answers to the questions last week to the list of available options to make your best buying decision. There are several types of video recorders available. Here is a summary of them.

Traditional VHS tape camcorders
I am not sure they even make these any more. You can find them on eBay if your heart is set on this type. The advantages are that the tapes can pull the tape from the camcorder and pop it directly into your VCR and play it right away. No additional work is needed. The sound and picture quality are OK, but not as good as the new cameras. The disadvantages include being very heavy and cumbersome to carry around and the battery life can be less than desirable.

Mini tape camcorders
These newer camcorders have miniature tapes about the size of an audio cassette tape (or even smaller). They are usually light with better battery life than a traditional camcorder. The picture quality is very good. The disadvantages are that the tapes usually only hold 60 - 90 minutes of video and you have have to use an adapter to play the tapes in your VCR.

DVD camcorders
These devices record your video to small DVDs They are still much smaller than the traditional camcorder, but a little larger than the mini tape kind. The picture quality is very good. Most DVD players have a place to put small DVDs to play them. The battery life can be shorter due to writing to a disk. The amount of time you can record to a disk can be limited as well.

Hard drive camcorders
Hard drive camcorders have an internal hard drive much like a computer where it stores the video files. The picture quality is very good. The battery is not bad. The main issues are that you have to transfer the files to your computer to burn them to a DVD (if the files aren't too large) and once you fill up the hard drive you HAVE to delete something or download the files before you can record again. It is also possible to attach this kind of camcorder to your TV to play the video.

Removable media camcorders
These are similar to the hard drive camcorders, but they record the video to removable cards like an SD card. SD cards are available up to 32 gig now. The advantage is that you pop out one card and put in another when it gets full. The picture quality and batter life is very good. You can copy the files from your SD card to a DVD or use the camera to play the video on your TV. Some newer TVs also have an SD card slot to play movies and pictures.

That is about it for this week. This is sort of mind numbing, I know. Technology usually is! I will write more next week.

Other Stuff
I ran to MicroCenter after work last night. I love MicroCenter! I want to buy the last generation of iMac that they have on sale. Do I need it? Nah. Do I still want it? Heck, yeah! I love that computer!

I had dinner with a buddy, then attended my D2 class. We had some great discussions.

I finished the night with some phone calls to some special friends. God is working. Thank you, God! I don't know where the road is heading, but I will have faith and keep walking.

Hang in there, my friends. I will be upbeat and steady. That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment