Thursday, November 18, 2010

Super size me!

Our Daily Bread
Remember when every fast food place had a "super" size meal with a really large soft drink and a really large french fries with the sandwich? I remember eating two Big Macs or Quarter Pounders with cheese plus the super size drink and fries when I was younger! Yikes! I eat better now than then, but I still need to refine my eating habits. ;-p But I digress!

The point of today's devotional is that we need to focus on a spiritual diet that promotes spiritual health. Like junk food or a poor diet in general, some spiritual food may satisfy us in the short term, but not meet our long-term spiritual needs or growth. One passage likens it to a baby having only milk and soft food. As adults, we need to eat solid spiritual food for us to grow.

How do we know what is "solid food" and what is not? IMHO, look for the things that have stood the test of time. Books and fads can fade away. The two main commandments that Jesus gave us have not: Love God and Love our neighbor. Any teachings or readings that stray from those things might be suspect!

Lord, I want to improve my spiritual diet as well as my physical diet. Please help me to grow closer to you.

Technology Thursday
I apologize, but I am having a very busy week. I will have to write more next Thursday or later tonight if I get time. The topic is how to take the information from the past two Thursdays and apply it to a video recorder purchasing decision.

Other Stuff
I had a long day at work yesterday, but it was good. We got a lot done. Barring unforeseen issues, we should complete our milestone today as scheduled. Whew! I will be upbeat and steady. I will be upbeat and steady... Whew....

We had a great D2 class last night. I will miss seeing those folks next week due to Thanksgiving Eve (yes, I really said that). We will pick up our studies in Exodus the following week. We are almost half way done with the class!

God is working in so many areas of my life. I will write about the Thomas Merton prayer on Saturday. It has meant a lot to me. I will trust God. I will have faith.

Hang in there, my friends! I will be upbeat and steady. That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment