Tuesday, November 16, 2010

How do I get to Carnegie Hall?

Our Daily Bread
The answer to this old joke is: Practice!!! hehehe The main point in the devotional is diligence. To be diligent, we need to practice.

Being a musician, I understood exactly what Midori was talking about when discussing practice. It is so easy for a musician or singer to just go through the motions to get their time in for the week. Another check box off the things to do list.

Aren't we that way with our spiritual life sometimes? We just go through the motions with our church attendance, Bible study and prayer life, if we do them at all! We say a few words in prayer so we can check that off our list for the day. Let us all consider devoting time to "performance" level practicing of our faith!

Lord, I don't want to go through the motions. I want to be a worker who is not ashamed to come before you.

Discipleship Two-sday
We had two chapters again this week: Trials and Law.

The Trials chapter focused around Exodus 15 - 19, Numbers 10 -12, and Psalm 105. The main thing I got out of this lesson was: Like the people of Israel (and other humans..) I grumble too much! The grumbling leads to frustration. The frustration leads to inappropriate behavior like not being nice to people. God will provide for our every need if we trust him. He will provide in his time, not ours.

The Law chapter discussed the Ten Commandments. The scripture was Exodus 20, 31 - 34 and Deuteronomy 4 -6. The author challenged us to review the ten commandments and then pick two that we need to focus on in our daily lives. I picked number 1 and number 5. I have hard time with these two. I will work on them.

We have a week off for Thanksgiving. Next week, I will write about some of our earlier lessons that meant a lot to me.

Other Stuff
I had a very busy day at work as I expected. We made good progress on the big project. More fun today. I am putting more stress on myself than I need to. Please pray for me that I will relax and not let frustration build up to the boil over point.

I have a nice evening planned with a friend. Not sure where the road will go, but I will follow and have faith.

I decided not to have another eye surgery this year. The surgery is optional. If I ever have it done, I will probably go to a different doctor. I will probably fill the prescription for eyeglasses that I will wear as needed. I may even get a contact for my right eye. I am not sure about that yet. My eye sight is a challenge for me. Please keep me in your prayers.

Hang in there, my friends! I will be upbeat and steady. That is what I do...

No comments:

Post a Comment